Finally! After countless trials and even more errors I have finally made baked sweet potato fries as crispy as they’ll ever be. I also manged to make dairy-free, wheat-free, refined-sugar-free oatmeal cookies that actually stay together but unfortunately I ate them all before I could take a photo so watch this space. I guess you could say it’s been a productive two days back at uni! Without further ado may I present to you my baked sweet potato fries:
– 1 large sweet potato per person
– 1 tbsp cornflour/coarse polenta per potato (I actually used rice flour for one trial and they were pretty good too!)
– 1 tbsp olive oil per potato
– 1/4 tsp salt (plus additional spices: I like 1/4 tsp paprika with 1/4 tsp cumin but I’ve heard cinnamon and sugar is good too!)
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place in the oven. Preheat the oven (and tray!) to 200 degrees.
2. Cut potato in half and then slice into ‘fries.’ Put in a large bowl.
3. Toss the ‘fries’ in the flour and, once coated, discard any remaining flour.
4. Drizzle with oil and add seasoning.
5. Place on heated baking tray- ideally lined up and not too close as any overlap will cause the fries to steam and go soggy.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for a further 10.
7. Optional but time-consuming step: Once baked turn off the oven and crack open the door. Leave the fries in the oven whilst it cools for an extra crunch!