I love salad. Proper salad though- not the stereotypical bowl of iceberg lettuce and a sliced tomato that gives salad a bad rep. However, eating salad in December can feel a little strange so I set out to find a hearty winter salad. This lentil and sweet potato salad with a honey and mustard dressing certainly ticks all the right boxes and will be my ‘salad du jour’ today… and tomorrow… and probably the day after that.
FOR THE SALAD (serves 2)
– Bed of baby spinach
– 2 sweet potatoes, cubed (with skin on!)
– 1 cup green lentils, cooked and rinsed
– Handful of seeds (Ideally sunflower but I only had pumpkin!)
FOR THE DRESSING
– 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 2 tsp honey
– Squeeze of lemon juice
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Cube sweet potato, spray with cooking spray (or drizzle with oil), sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about 20 minutes. This time will depend on the size of your cubes so watch carefully!
2. Make the dressing by combining ingredients in a jar and shaking like mad.
3. Toss the rinsed, cooked lentils in the dressing and place on a bed of baby spinach. Top with sweet potato cubes and seeds. So easy.