Happy Birthday Blog! Can you believe I’ve been doing this for a month? Given that I started it with the primary intention of collating my recipes, I am so happy to have had over 1,500 hits so thanks to everybody who has helped reach this! To celebrate L and I had lamb chops with this melanzane. After a massive aubergine binge last March, this is the first time we’ve had them since and it was yum! Would make a super topping for a bit of toasted crusty bread as well- that’s lunch tomorrow sorted!
– 2 red onions, sliced
– 12 cherry tomatoes (as ripe and red as you can find)
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Thick balsamic vinegar
– 3 aubergines, topped, tailed and cut into 1 cm slices
– 300 ml of blended chopped tomatoes (approximately a 400g can)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Toss the onions and tomatoes with 2 tbsp oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar in an oven proof dish.
3. Roast in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the skins of the tomatoes crack open and the onions are beginning to caramelize.
4. Meanwhile, heat a saucepan on a high heat. Using a pastry brush, coat the aubergine slices with oil on both sides. Fry in the hot pan until beginning to get soft.
5. Drizzle the aubergines with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Layer into an ovenproof dish.
6. Top layers with tomato/onion mix and purée tomato sauce.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.