Today I started training for my Bupa 10,000 (my first 10km run!) and was super hungry when I finished up at the gym. These burgers, adapted from a Blogilates recipe, are great as you get the good, filling carbs from the sweet potato without the heaviness that comes from bread. I usually have these with a big side of rainbow salad.
– 1 large red onion, diced
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 4 cloves garlic
– 2 can (400g) black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces and boiled for 7-8 minutes until soft, with skin
– 5 tbsp flax seeds
– 2 tbsp paprika
– 1 tbsp cumin
– pinch of salt, or to taste
1. Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and cook onion and garlic until they are limp and start to brown a bit.
2. Put the cooked onion mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the beans and potato chunks and pulse five or six times. The beans should be broken up but there should still be some small chunks. Don’t over process, as you want your bean burgers to be a little chunky.
3. Transfer the veggie and bean mixture into large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients
4. Form into patties (about 3”) and put onto a baking tray. I was able to get 8!
5. Bake at 180° for 30 mins, flipping once, and then transfer to a pan (with 1 cal spray) and cook each side until slightly crisp!