There are few things I like more than Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup. However, when I started eating dairy free I had to find an alternative. Luckily, Jamie Olive (one of our fave celeb chefs!) had the solution. This soup has the sweetness of Heinz but is made from wholesome ingredients…and it serves four so L and I have a leftover portion each for lunch- Jamie, we’ve got a winner! I like to have this soup with a slice of B Free Seeded Bread (it is far superior to Genius gluten-free bread so be sure to check it out!)
– 2 carrots
– 2 sticks celery
– 2 medium onions
– 2 cloves garlic
– olive oil
– 2 organic chicken or vegetable stock cubes
– 400 g tinned plum tomatoes
– 3 large ripe tomatoes
– 1 small bunch fresh basic (or 1 tbsp dried!)
– sea salt
– freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel and roughly slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and slice the garlic.
2. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add a couple of lugs of olive oil. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
3. Cook for around 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
4. Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.5 litres of boiling water from the kettle. Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the pan with your tinned and fresh whole tomatoes. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
6. Add salt, pepper and basil. Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth.