So, it’s not actually Halloween. However, seeing as a bout of flu meant I missed out yesterday (cue sympathy violins!), L and I celebrated today by carving bell peppers. We stuffed them with egg fried brown rice which may not be the most traditional combination but it certainly hit the spot!
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
– 2 large orange peppers
– 1 cup brown rice (Long Grain Basmati)
– 1 large brown onion
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1 egg
– 3 tbsp kicap manis
1. Add the rice and 2 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled, simmer for about 20 mins until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Once cool, refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
2. Cut the top of the peppers and scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking tray in a preheated over (180 degrees) for 20 minutes.
3. Whilst the peppers are in the oven, finely dice the onion and sauté with 2 tbsp oil. Once translucent, place in a bowl and keep for later.
4. Heat another 2 tbsp oil. Add the refrigerated rice and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Whisk the egg and pour onto the rice, mixing very quickly with a wooden spoon to coat the rice in the egg mix.
6. Add the onions and frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
7. Add the kicap manis.
8. Remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the hot fried rice into the peppers.